JAMB Use Of English Syllabus: Is JAMB Syllabus Use of English out for this year’s JAMB?, When will JAMB English syllabus be out?, What topics do JAMB set questions from in English the most in JAMB?, what is the most repeated topic in JAMB’s English?, download English pdf.
Welcome to another exciting episode of my “JAMB Doctor Series“, in this episode I will provide you with the official topics recognize by JAMB, which JAMB expect you are a guru in before entering the hall to sit for your JAMB Use of English Exam. STAY TUNED!
Have you ever wondered where you can find the topics for English language (Use of English) JAMB normally asks or the most repeated topics or question in JAMB use of English? then you are a step away from finding your answer.
The short answer to the above question is “JAMB Syllabus”, in fact, JAMB Syllabus is the only expo you will be getting as you prepare for 2024/2025 UTME Exams, this syllabus contains area of concentrations and topics your questions will be asked from.
ARE YOU ON TELEGRAM? Subscribe To My Telegram Channel For Frequent Updates & Guide by clicking the "SUBSCRIBE NOW" button below.
Any smart students would cherish this piece (Syllabus) and make effective use of it, the fact that you are searching for this now simply means you are in the right direction. you should see my top notch guide on How To Pass JAMB 2024/2025 With High Score (300+) here.
For the sake of students who do not fully understand what JAMB syllabus is, I will give a brief explanation about this and then provide you with the relevant topics and focus area of concentration as provided in JAMB Use of English Syllabus.
I will also make the pdf available for download at the end of this write up… Enjoy!
What Is JAMB English Syllabus?
JAMB Syllabus for English is a collection of topics JAMB expects students to be well grounded in before they sit for their Use of English exam.
Since English Language is one of the subjects you will definitely sit for in JAMB, you need this syllabus.
This syllabus were actually compiled by JAMB , so it is something you can rely on.
The aim of the Unified Tertiary Examination Board Syllabus in use of English is to guide candidates in their preparation for the Board’s exam.
Advantages of Using JAMB English Syllabus To Prepare?
Of course using JAMB syllabus to prepare for Use of English in JAMB has its perks, some of these advantages includes…
- Expose you to topics you never taught were important
- You begin to see how JAMB thinks, and also expose you to what you should expects in different topics
- On the syllabus is also contained recommended textbooks, using JAMB recommended textbooks is key
With these I hope you will grab the opportunity of making good use of JAMB Use of English Syllabus I will be providing you with shortly…
JAMB Use Of English Syllabus
JAMB Use of English syllabus is designed to evaluate your ability to:
- Communicate effectively in both written and Spoken English; and
- use English language for learning at the tertiary level
JAMB Use of English Syllabus consists of three (3) sections:
- SECTION A: Comprehension and Summary
- SECTION B: Lexis and Structure
- SECTION C: Oral forms
Download your copy of the syllabus here?
Below is a table containing detailed JAMB Use of English syllabus/Content
1. Comprehension & Summary
- Each of the two passages to be set (one will be a cloze test) should reflect various disciplines and be about 200 words long.
Questions on the passages will test the following:
- Comprehension of the whole or part of each passage.
- Comprehension of words, phrases, clauses, sentences, figures of speech and idioms as used in the passages.
- Coherence and logical reasoning (deductions, inferences, etc).
The Life Changer by Khadija Abubakar Jalli(New novel to be announced for 2023 year JAMB)
- Synthesis of ideas from the passages.
NOTE: By synthesis of ideas is meant the art of combining distinct or separate pieces of information to form a complete whole.
Your Study Objectives
- identify main points/topic sentences in passages;
- determine implied meaning;
- identify the grammatical functions of words, phrases, clauses and figurative/idiomatic expressions;
- deduce or infer the writer’s intentions including mood, attitude to the subject matter and opinion.
2. Lexis and Structure
- clause and sentence patterns
- word classes and their functions
- mood, tense, aspect, number, agreement/concord, degree (positive, comparative and superlative) and question tags
- punctuation and spelling
- ordinary usage, figurative usage and idiomatic usage are to be tested.
You should be able to;
- identify words and expressions in their ordinary, figurative and idiomatic contexts;
- determine similar and opposite meaning of words;
- differentiate between correct and incorrect punctuation and spelling;
- identify various grammatical patterns in use;
- interpret information conveyed in sentences.
3. Oral Forms
- Vowels (monothongs and diphthongs
- Consonants (including clusters)
- Rhymes (including homophones)
- Word stress (monosyllabic and polysyllabic)
- Intonation (words emphatic stress)
you should be able to:
- make distinctions between vowel types;
- differentiate between consonant types;
- identify correct accentuation in individual words and connected speech
Number of Questions JAMB Set In English
Below is a breakdown of how JAMB Sets Use of English Question for 2024/2025… Enjoy!
SECTION A: COMPREHENSION AND SUMMARY
|a||1 comprehension passage||5 questions|
|b||1 cloze passage||10 questions|
|c||1 reading text||10 questions|
SECTION B: Lexis and Structure
|a.||Sentence Interpretation||5 questions|
|d.||Basic Grammar||10 questions|
SECTION C: Oral Forms
|d.||Word Stress||2 questions|
|e.||Emphatic Stress||2 questions|
Total Number of Questions = 60
JAMB Use of English Recommended Text
Below is a list of JAMB Recommended Textbooks for 2024/2025 use of English
- Attah, M. O. (2013). Practice in Spoken English for Intermediate and Advanced Learners, Maiduguri: University of Maiduguri Press.
- Bamgbose, A. (2002). English Lexis and Structure for Senior Secondary Schools and colleges (Revised Edition), Ibadan: Heinemann
- Banjo, A. et al (2004). New Oxford Secondary English Course Book Six for Senior Secondary Schools, Ibadan: UP Plc.
- Caesar, O. J. (2003). Essential Oral English for Schools and Colleges, Lagos: Tonad Publishers Limited
- Daniel Jones (2011). Cambridge English Pronouncing Dictionary, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Egbe, D. I (1996). Mastering English Usage and Communication Skills, Lagos: Tisons
- Elugbe, B. (2000). Oral English for Schools and Colleges, Ibadan: Heinemann
- Grant, N. J. H, Nnamonu, S. Jowitt, D. (1998). Senior English Project 3, (New Edition) Harlow: Longman
- Idowu, O. O, Sogbesan, T. S, Adofo, A. K. Burgess, D. F and Burgess, L. J. (1998). Round-up English: A Complete Guide, Lagos: Longman
- Idris, U. (2001). Oral English at Your Fingertips for Schools and Colleges, Lagos, M. Youngbrain Publishers
- Igiligi, E. C. and Ogenyi, S. O. (2010) Grammar and Composition in the G.S.M. Age, Enugu: Joe Hills Production Services
- Jauro, L. B. (2013). Oral English for Schools and Colleges: A teaching and Learning Approach, Yola: Paraclete Publishers.
- Nnamonu, S. and Jowitt, D. (1989). Common Errors in English, Lagos: Longman
- Obinna, M. F. (2001). University Matriculation Use of English, (Fourth Edition) Port Harcourt: Sunray Books Limited
- Ogunsanwo, O. Duruaku, A. B.C, Ezechukwu, J and Nwachukwu, U. I (2005). Countdown English Language, (Revised Edition), Ibadan: Evans
- Olatoye, S. (2006). The Silent Teacher, Ado-Ekiti: Segun and Sons Enterprises
- Oluikpe, B. O. A, Nnaemeka, B. A, Obah, T. Y, Otagburuagu, E. J. Onuigbo, S. and Ogbonna, E. A. (1998). Intensive English for Senior Secondary School 3, Onitsha: Africana – FIRST Publisher
- Tomori, S. H. O (2000). Objective Tests for School Certificate English: Practice in Lexis, Structure and Idiom (Reprinted Edition), Ibadan: Heinemann
- Ukwuegbu, C, Okoro, O., Idris, A. U., Okebukola, F. O. and Owokade, C. O. (2002). Catch-up English for SSCE/UME, Ibadan: Heinemann
And there you have it, the complete list of JAMB recommended textbooks
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I study for JAMB in English?
The topics you are to study for JAMB Use of English are Comprehension and Summary, Lexis and Structure and Oral forms which are all present in JAMB use of English syllabus.
Is JAMB English 2024/2025 syllabus out?
YES, JAMB Use of English syllabus for 2024 is out and can be downloaded here
It is advisable you go through these topics listed here, as they would help you have a more directed preparation and reading for JAMB use of English.
This will be all for now😊, I understand you may have a question or two to ask, feel free to drop them using the comment box below!
JAMB SYLLABUS FOR OTHER SUBJECTS... A. JAMB English Syllabus B. JAMB Mathematics Syllabus C. JAMB Syllabus For Physics D. JAMB Chemistry Syllabus E. JAMB Syllabus For Biology F. JAMB Economics Syllabus G. JAMB Syllabus For Christian Religious Studies (CRS) H. JAMB government Syllabus I. JAMB Syllabus for Commerce J. JAMB Literature in English Syllabus K. JAMB Computer Studies Syllabus