Pharmacy in UNIBEN, University of Benin: Do Uniben offer Bachelor of Pharmacy or Doctor of Pharmacy program?, How many years to study Pharmacy in Uniben, Uniben pharmacy course outline, What is UNIBEN cut off mark for Pharmacy?, How much is Pharmacy in UNIBEN? Is Pharmacy competitive in UNIBEN?
Welcome SAVANT! to my “School of Pharmacy Series“, in today’s episode I will show you everything you need to know about the faculty of Pharmacy in Uniben, from the Cut off mark, to UTME/Direct entry requirements, course duration and lots more… STAY TUNED!
Before applying to Pharmacy in the University of Benin (UNIBEN), you must first familiarize yourself with answers to some questions relating to the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) program, indeed the Pharm D program is still very new in Nigeria and…
…access to correct answers to some of these Doctor of Pharmacy related questions can sometimes be very difficult to find, hence the reason for this Series and review today, at the end of this article you should be able to answer most of the questions asked above concerning Uniben and her faculty of Pharmacy.
ARE YOU ON TELEGRAM? Why Not Subscribe To My Telegram "Jamb Doctor Channel" For Frequent Updates by clicking the "SUBSCRIBE NOW" button below.
If you need any further information or clarifications, do well to drop your questions using the comment box just below this page.
OVERVIEW OF PHAMACY IN UNIBEN
|Course Duration||Six (6) Years|
|Degree Awarded||Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD)|
Table of Contents
Overview Of Pharmacy In Uniben, University of Benin
Just like what is obtainable in other schools, students are admitted either via Jamb (Joint Admission and Matriculation Board) or through direct entry (Jupeb).
Required Jamb Subjects for Pharmacy
Jamb Subject combination for pharmacy in Uniben includes…
- Use of English
- Chemistry and
Mathematics is not needed in Jamb for those who want to study Pharmacy
Jamb and Post Utme Score
Students who wish to be admitted to study Pharmacy in Uniben must score at least 200 to qualify for Post Utme. But scoring 200 in jamb still won’t guarantee your admission into the Faculty of Pharmacy in Uniben.
Pharmacy being a very competitive course in Nigeria would require you Score very well in jamb, by scoring very well, I mean very well, like from 270 and above, and also doing very well in the Post Utme Exam.
You may be asking, why do I need to score that high in jamb and still do well in Post Utme?, well, the truth is, admission to student is dependent on varying factors, such as Merit, ELDS, e.t.c.
Read also: Jamb and Waec Subjects To Study Pharmacy
Students admitted on the merit list must score well above the aggregate score for Pharmacy. On a norm the aggregate score for pharmacy in Uniben is 70, now let’s both analyse the Jamb and Post Utme score you will need to get to score above the aggregate 70.
Uniben Pharmacy Aggregate Score
To calculate aggregate, you will divide your Jamb Score by 8 and your post Utme score by 2, then we can say that your aggregate score is the summation of your Jamb score divided by 8 and your post utme score divided by 2.
Lets say, a student who wishes to study pharmacy in uniben scored 270 in jamb and then 80 in Post Utme, the aggregate score can then be calculate as thus;
270/8 + 80/2 = 33.75 + 40
Making the stduent’s aggregate score 73.75
So you see that the higher your Jamb and Post Utme score the higher your average aggregate score.
O’ level Requirement
Like every other health courses, you will need a minimum of five (5) credits in your core courses which in this case include;
- English language
- Chemistry and
If you observe closely, for Jamb, Maths is not required but for your O’ level i.e WAEC, NECO or NABTEB, maths becomes necessary. The student must pass the subject listed above at not more than two sittings.
Direct Entry Requirement
Aside the use of jamb, you can also be admitted into pharmacy using JUPEB (Joint Universities Preliminary Examinations Board), to kick start this process you will first need to buy the form #15,000 and sit for the entrance exam.
There is really no passing or failing in the entrance exam, it’s actually just a formality as most student if not all will be allowed to participate in the Jupeb program.
The program spans for 1 year (Two semesters) and successful candidates would be admitted to study pharmacy beginning from 200 level. During the course of the program you will need to pay a fee of #150,000, this can be paid in installment.
Jamb Direct Entry
For student who have studied other courses before now and want to study pharmacy, you can apply through jamb direct entry and be admitted to 200 level.
The student must hold at least a Bachelor’s degree (second class Hons) from a recognized University in chemistry or the biological sciences.
Other Direct Entry Program
Other programs like IJMB, NABTEB A Level can grant you admission to study pharmacy in University of Benin (Uniben) from 200 level.
Uniben Pharmacy Cut Off Mark
Pharmacy cut of mark for Uniben is different from that for other courses, as pharmacy student are expected to perform way higher than other Student because of the demanding nature of the course.
Earlier on HERE, I pointed out that, to be able to partake in Uniben Post UTME, Jamb score above 200 will o the Job and of course scoring higher increases your chances of being admitted.
Remember, the higher, the better.
Uniben Pharmacy Syllabus
Unlike other schools, Uniben offers the Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm D) program hence, have a longer study duration when compered to schools that offers the Bachelor of Pharmacy program.
Pharmacy Departments in Uniben
The courses offered is somewhat different from those schools offering the B Pharm program. Below is the list of department in the Faculty of Pharmacy in Uniben.
- Department of Pharmacognosy
- Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Department of Pharmaceutical microbiology
- Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical technology
- Pharmacology and toxicology
- Clinical Pharmacy and pharmacy practice
Uniben Pharmacy course Outline
Below are the list of courses offered in Uniben pharmacy…
100 Level Uniben Pharmacy Courses:
Course Code Course Title (credits)
- PHY100- Practical Physics (- credit)
- PHY111-Mechanics, Thermal Physics & Properties of Matter (3 credits)
- PHY113-Vibrations, Waves & Optics (3 credits)
- CHM101-General Chemistry I (3 credits)
- CHM103- Organic chemistry I (3 credits)
- BOT101- Diversity of Organisms(3 credits)
- ZOO101- Introductory Ecology, Genetics and Evolution (4 credits)
- GST111- Use of English I (2 credits)
- GST112- Philosophy and Logic (2 credits)
- PHY100- Practical Physics (2 credits)
- PHY124-Electromagnetism & Modern Physics(4 credits)
- CHM102- General Chemistry II (3credits)
- CHM104- Organic Chemistry II (3 credits)
- BOT102- Plant forms & functions(3 credits)
- ZOO102 – Diversity of Animals: History, Physiology & Embryology (4 credits)
- GST121- Use of English II (2 credits)
- GST122- Nigeria People and Culture (2 credits)
- GST123- History and Philosophy of Science (2 credits)
Total of 48 credits
200 Level Uniben Pharmacy Courses
- PHM215 Ancillary Mathematics I (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PHS 212- Introductory and Blood Physiology (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PHS 213- Cardiovascular and Respiratory Physiology (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PHS 201- Physiology Practical (- credit)
- BCH 219-Biochemistry1 (4credits, 60 hr)
- ANT 212- Basic Anatomy (1 credit, 30hr)
- PMB212- Principles of Pharmaceutical Microbiology (2 credits, 30hr)
- PCH212- Pharmaceutical Chemistry I(2 credits, 30 hr)
- PCG 211- Practical Pharmacognosy (1 credit, 45 hr)
- PCG 212- Introduction to pharmacognosy (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PCT 212- Introduction to Pharmaceutics
- PCT 201 – Practical Pharmaceutics (Dispensing) I (- credit)
- PHM 225 – Ancillary Mathematics II (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PHS 224-Renal, Gastrointestinal and Endocrine Physiology (2 -credits, 30 hr)
- PHS 225-Neurophysiology and Special Senses(2 credits, 30 hr)
- PHS 201- Physiology Practical (1 credit, 45 hr)
- BCH 229- Biochemistry II (2 credits, 30hr)
- ANT 222 – General Embryology, Teratology and Genetic Anatomy (3 credits, 45 hr)
- PMB 221- Practical Pharmaceutical Microbiology I (1 credit, 45hr)
- PCH 221-Pharmaceutical Chemistry Practical I (1 credit, 45 hr)
- PCH 223- Pharmaceutical Chemistry II (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PCT 201- Practical Pharmaceutics (Dispensing) I (1credit, 45hr)
Total of 39 credits
300 Level Uniben Pharmacy Courses
- PCO 312- General Principles of Pharmacology (3 credits, 45hr)
- PCO 313- Autonomic/Neuro-pharmacology (3 credits, 45hr)
- PCO 301- Practical Pharmacology I (- credit)
- PCN 310- Basic Computing and Information Technology (3 credits, 75 hr)
- PMB312- Disinfection and Sterilization (3 credits, 45hr)
- PCH 311- Pharmaceutical Chemistry Practical II (1 credit, 45 hr.)
- PCH 312- Pharmaceutical Organic Chemistry I (3 credits, 45 hr)
- PCG 312 – Medicinal Plants and Alternative Medicine I (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PCT 312 – Pharmaceutical Technology I (3 credits 45 hr)
- PCT 301- Practical Pharmaceutics (Dispensing) II (- credit)
- PCO 324- Systemic Pharmacology (3 credits, 45hr)
- PCO 301 – Practical Pharmacology I (1credit, 45hr)
- PMB321–PracticalPharmaceuticalMicrobiology II
- PCH 322- Pharmaceutical Analysis I (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PCH323- Pharmaceutical Organic Chemistry II (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PCG 322 – Medicinal Plants and Alternative Medicine II (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PCG 321 – Practical Pharmacognosy II (1 credit, 45 hr)
- PCT 323 – Physical Pharmaceutics (3 credits, 45 hr)
- PCT 301 – Practical Pharmaceutics(Dispensing) II (1 credit, 45hr)
Total of 37 credits
400 Level Uniben Pharmacy Courses
- PPR 412- Pharmacy Management/Entrepreneurship I (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PCN 412- Clinical Pharmacokinetics (3 credits, 45hr)
- PCH 412 – Medicinal Chemistry I (3 credits, 45 hr)
- PIT 401- Industrial Training (4 credits, 640hr)
- PCT 412 – Pharmaceutical Technology II (3 credits, 45hr)
- PPR 422
- PPR 423
- PCN 422
- PCO 421- Practical Pharmacology II (1 credit, 45 hr)
- PCO 422- Central Nervous System Pharmacology (3 credits, 45hr)
- PCO 423- Chemotherapy (2 credits, 30hr)
- PMB 421- Practical Pharmaceutical Microbiology III (1 credit, 45hr)
- PMB 423- Sterile Products Formulation and Immunology (2 credits, 30hr)
- PCH 421- Pharmaceutical Chemistry Practical III (1 credit, 45 hr)
- PCG 422 – Phytochemistry I (3 credits, 45 hr)
- PCG421 – Practical Pharmacognosy III (1 credit, 45 hr)
- PCT 421 -Powder and Tablet Technology Practical (1 credit, 45 hr.)
Total of 37 credits
500 Level Uniben Pharmacy Courses
- PCO 512 – Endocrine/Autocoid Pharmacology (3 credits, 45hr)
- PCO513 -Haemopoietic/Biochemical Pharmacology (2 credits, 30hr)
- PCN512 -Pharmacotherapeutics I (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PCN 513- Patient assessment and Drug administration (2 credits, 30hr)
- PPR 512- Pharmacy Practice I (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PMB512 – Microbial Chemotherapy and Bacterial Genetics (3 credits, 45hr)
- PCH 511- Pharmaceutical Analysis Practical (1 credit, 45 hr)
- PCH 512 – Medicinal Chemistry II (3 credits, 45 hr)
- PCG512 – Phytochemistry II (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PCT512 – Formulation and production of phytomedicines (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PTX 522- Toxicology (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PCN 521 – Clinical Pharmacy Clerkship I (3 credits, 135hr)
- PCN 522 -Pharmacotherapeutics II (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PCN 524- Advanced Communication Skills (2 credits, 30hr)
- PPR 522 – Pharmacy Practice II (2 credits, 30hr)
- PPR 521 – Professional Dispensing (1 credit, 45 hr)
- PMB 523 – Preservation and Fermentation Biotechnology (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PCT 522 – Biopharmaceutics (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PCT 523 – Dosage Form Evaluation and Drug Stability (2 credits, 30hr)
Total of 40 credits
600 Level Uniben Pharmacy Courses
- PCN 610 – Biostatistics and Biocomputing (2 credits, 60hr)
- PCN 611 – Clinical Pharmacy Clerkship II (7 credits, 315hr)
- PCN 612 – Pharmaceutical Care (2 credits, 30hr)
- PCN 613 -Pharmacotherapeutics III (2 credits, 30hr)
- PCO 612 – Substance Abuse & Dependence (2 credits, 30hr)
- PCT 612 – Drug Delivery and Pharmaceutical Technology (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PMB 612 – Infectious Diseases and Pathogenesis (2 credits, 30hr)
- PHV 612- Veterinary Pharmacy I: Common animal diseases (2 credits, 30hr)
- PPJ 601 – Project (- credit)
- PPJ 601 – Project (4 credits, 180hr)
- PHV 622- Veterinary Pharmacy II: Therapeutics (2 credits, 30hr)
- PCN 620 – Drug Information Service (2 credits, 60hr)
- PCN 621 – Clinical Pharmacy Clerkship III (7 credits, 315hr)
- PCN 622 – Introduction to Public Health (2 credits, 30hr)
- PCH 622 – Pharmaceutical Analysis II (2 credits, 30 hr)
- PCN 625 – Seminar (1 credit, 15hr)
Total of 41 credits
Uniben Admission To Pharm D
Upon admission to the faculty of Pharmacy in Uniben, the student will have to spend six (6) Years of intensive study and practicals. After admission, the first thing to do would be to pay acceptance fee and school fee.
Uniben acceptance fee for Pharmacy Student:
Acceptance fee for Pharmacy Student is 60,000.00, this payment can be done online.
Uniben school fees for Pharmacy Student
|New student||Returning student|
Frequently Asked Questions
How Many Years To Study Pharmacy In UNIBEN?
The University of Benin offers the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) Program and as such would take you Six (6) to complete the course.
Is Pharmacy in Uniben Hard?
NO, with the right attitude and dedication to learning, you will find this course (Pharmacy) a walk over, but take note, Pharmacy is a highly demanding course.
The University of Benin (Uniben) Unlike most Universities that offers pharmacy, award her student the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) Degree
This will be all for now, I understand you may have a question or two to ask, feel free to drop them using the comment box below!
Ensure to share this with friends on Facebook, Whatsapp, or any other social media network you can connect them with…
Related Searches a. Doctor of Pharmacy in UNIBEN b. UNIBEN school fees c. UNIBEN school fees for pharmacy d. Is Pharmacy accredited in UNIBEN e. UNIBEN Direct entry requirements for pharmacy f. OAU Pharmacy course outline g. UNIBEN PharmD